On Our Shelves Now
Located near the mouth of the Columbia River, Warrenton, incorporated in February 1899, is a city comprised of many earlier towns and villages. Hammond, although still having a separate post office and zip code, was merged with Warrenton in 1991. Fort Stevens, now an Oregon State Park, is located near Hammond. Lexington was the first county seat for Clatsop County until the county seat was vacated on December 4, 1879, and moved to Astoria. Skipanon, located near the same site as Lexington, was also annexed by Warrenton. Flavel, along the Columbia River between Warrenton and Hammond, was an active port for the Great Northern Steamship Company. It was annexed by Warrenton in 1918. Warrenton-Hammond documents each of these towns as they grew and became the present city of Warrenton.
About the Author
Susan L. Glen is married to a retired Coast Guard helicopter pilot who was stationed at Air Station Astoria from 1976 to 1981. They returned to the area following his retirement after 29 years of service, and the photographs in this book are from the many people who have been stationed here since the base's inception, as well as from Coast Guard Community Relations. This is her fifth book with Arcadia Publishing.